Mercato ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)

VIVERE CARPANETO | Feste, sagre e mercati | Mercato ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)




The markets in Carpaneto today are two: one on Wednesday and one on Sunday; they take place in the old town centre.

The Wednesday market counts about sixty stands whereas the Sunday one has more than a hundred stands of every kind.  

It is important to remember that Sunday Market hosts every two weeks the “Campagna Amica” stands.

In the “Campagna Amica” Markets the farmers sell their Italian products coming from regional territories, so they’re rigorously items coming from local sources.

Carpaneto’s market, especially the Sunday one, is still very important for the social life of the Town and attracts each week numerous visitors and tourists from the adjacent villages. It is an important meeting-point, exchange point but also a center of aggregation. The Market is a mix of sale of fresh and local products but also handcraft and clothing for every need and taste.

In Carpaneto the culture of the open-air market is still active and booming. It is an excellent occasion to discover our territory, taste traditional food and buy the most refined items.


There are no documents able to point out the date of the begin of our Market even though the trade as activity of exchange of goods has always existed.

In the town historical archive exists a series of rules for the collection of funds in the main square of Carpaneto signed by the Podestà Bracciforti and approved by the Town Hall Council on the 19th October 1820 with annexed a map where it is shown where the stands were organised.  

The current XX September square was reserved to the wheat commerce of the fabric stores, goods in leather, shoes, herbage, fruit, edibles of every sort.

Giovanni XXIII street was then reserved to the sheep commerce, whereas Marconi Street was occupied by bovine livestock, pigs and horses.

In that epoch the Town Hall could supply the stands for the market. The occupation rate of the public land varied depending on the fact if the stand was owned by the peddler or if it was rented.

With the Unification of Italy, Carpaneto’s Market too followed the State’s rules, but some customs and habits remained rooted until the immediate post-war period.

Once the Market had ended, the stands were collected by an operator and they were organised under the arcade of the Town Hall; later, they were placed in the Agnello hotel’s shed, that had an entrance in XX September square.

Another mass habit was naming the square with the denomination of the exposed goods: Scotti square was denominated “Fruit square”, whereas Oliveti square was “Poultry square” and “Rosso square” was known instead as “Poles square” for the commerce of poles and screws.


In 1880 the Town Council chaired by the mayor Giuseppe Arata, approved the purchase of a land in the extreme south of the Counts’ Scotti land, bordering with the last houses of the town, in order to build a new market square for the commerce of poles and screws as the place wasn’t enough anymore.

In those days there was a vast commerce of poles that were really useful for the big extent of viticulture. They were needed also in the country for beans and tomatoes.

These poles arrived from the “bassa” (lower lands), meaning from the River PO’s woodlands and took the hills’ road after the negotiation and the stops in Carpaneto’s storages. They were sought-after for their lightness, talking about softwood, they were right and long and they were sold in bundles.

They were finally transported with the “barre”, big carts with two wheels dragged by one, two or even three horses, depending on the load.

The importance of this commerce decreased until nearly disappearing, as the poles were mainly substituted by cement ones.

About the “Poles square” construction, the surveyor expert of the Town Antonio Ferrari, observed in his short report that the land at issue was a lawn outside the residential area, at the north of the town, it confined with Draghi and Rigolli houses and with the street that lead to Cadeo (current Roma street). Furthermore, it expected the implementation of the gravel and the construction of a small wooden bridge for the access to the way leading to Cadeo.

This place until a few years ago was still called, from the eldest, “Poles square” even if the prosperous commerce only remains a memory.

Today it is called “Ettore Rosso square” honouring the young lieutenant who got a golden medal and fell the 8th September 1943 in “Porta San Paolo” defending Rome.


XX September square was born inside the fortified village and it was classified from an ancient map kept in the Town Archive as “Wheat square”.

It existed a long series of rules, dating back to XIX century, in order to regulate the important market.

Some of them indicated the stands’ disposition; others established the rates to rent a stand that was property of the town or the use of the instruments to weigh or measure the merchandise.


(Translated by Laura Fugazzi)

Pubblicato il 
Aggiornato il 
Risultato (2 valutazioni)