(210 METRES ABOVE SEA LEVEL – 4 KM FROM CARPANETO)
In 1890 Celleri counted 390 inhabitants and owned 4 mills. The area overall measures about 8 km2 and includes the historical buildings of “Torre Confalonieri” (XI-XII Centuries), Pallastrelli’s Castle (XIV Century) and the Parish Church of St. Agnese (XIV Century); furthermore, it includes St. Corrado Confalonieri as one of his best-known inhabitants.
A long poplars avenue leads to Confalonieri Tower, which is located on the right side of river Vezzeno where, according to the tradition, in 1290 St. Corrado Confalonieri had born.
The current Confalonieri Tower originally was the Old Celleri Castle. It is revealed in a deed dated 30 January 1392 where it is stated that Cristoforo Coppalati sold half of the “Old Celleri Castle, in bad state of disrepair…” to Marsilio Confalonieri. The ample building adjacent to the tower had been built in XIX century by Carlo Confalonieri. Inside the tower there’s a chapel dedicated to St. Corrado that also appears in a fresco located at the entrance of the self-same Castle. In Piacenza’s chronicles the Castle is remembered as one of the many fortalices where the Guelphs used to seek refuge when they were expelled from adverse cities. In the XIX century the building was subjected to drastic modifications, to be modified as a residential villa.
The first information date back to May 1314 when Galeazzo Visconti’s Ghibelline Militias assaulted Celleri’s Castle to raid the goods whose profits were needed to pay the arrears of the troops’ salaries.
In 1385 the fortalice results as a property of Marsilio Confalonieri and from 1515 of the Pallastrellis.
Despite an expropriation administrative order released in 1651 from the Ducal Chamber, the Pallastrellis managed to redeem the ancient feud maintaining the ownership until today. The Castle have been transformed in 1800 into a residential Villa.
The magnificent aristocratic chapel, consecrated to St. Lodovico, dates back to 1716.
ST. AGNESE PARISH CHURCH
The parish church is dedicated to St. Agnese, a young girl, martyr of the faith during Diocletian’s persecution (IV century a.C.). A black marble gravestone walled in in the back façade remembers that the temple has been rebuilt in 1707 from Don Carlo Berni, rector of Piacenza’s Sant ’Andrea, on the foundations of a previous fourteenth-century church that resulted (from a 1323 deed) as a suffragan diocese in Travazzano’s parish church.
The successive restoration of the building, that dates to the end of the XIX century, coincided with the partial reduction on the bell tower. The interior, with a unique space with two lateral chapels, has gently been frescoed by the painter Renato Feci with geometrical motifs in neo-classical style. The new major altar is a work of the sculptor Paolo Perotti.
(Translated by Laura Fugazzi)