(109 – 125 METRES ABOVE SEA LEVEL– 2 KM FROM CARPANETO)
Cimafava’s territory, in these years, has partially modified its original and exclusive agricultural purposes to become – certified its proximity to Carpaneto and the existence of two essential provincial arterial roads – a suitable location for the settlement of new commercial companies and artisan businesses.
In Poggio Basina (near Cimafava), in 1908, was born Edoardo Amaldi who was part of the famous group “the boys of Panisperna Street”, the five Italian physicists that in the 30s laid the foundations of the nuclear physics. Beyond him, in the group took part Oscar D’Agostino, the group’s chemist, Enrico Fermi, who got a Nobel Prize for the physics in 1938 and author of the first nuclear reaction, Emilio Segre, who also got a Nobel Prize for the physics in 1959 and Franco Rasetti, experimental physicist of the group.
Amaldi kept stoking with his brilliance the school of Rome, where he taught until his death. His most brilliant venture was his concept and conflict for the birth of the most important European centre of nuclear researches, Ginevra’s Cern, and for the first particle collider.
Amaldi was considered from many the Italian physics’ founder. He lived a long season marked by big successes, from October 1934 when was experimented the radioactivity provoked by neutrons to particles colliders. He explored the atomic physics, the nucleus one, the particles’ subnuclear one and finally the gravitational waves emitted by collapsing stars (never identified before) relativist one.
MARIA ASSUNTA’S SACELLUM
Between the provincial street leading to Carpaneto and the municipal one to Costapelata is situated an exquisite sacellum, dedicated to Maria Assunta. The small temple was built in the first years of 1900 following the aesthetic canons of neoclassical architecture while the inside, square shaped with hemispherical dome, maintains upon a plain and tiny mural altar a genuine-rural fresco depicting the Virgin Assunta in the sky between a multitude of angels.
LANCILLOTTO ANGUISSOLA’S CASTLE
Of the antique castle dating back to Lancillotto Anguissola (XIV century) all it remains is a 6x6 metres room, with an underlying basement, incorporated in the corner of a huge farmhouse located in the locality denominated “ex case Castello” nowadays named Cantaragna.
MADONNA DELLA QUERCIA’S ORATORY
The oratory was rebuilt in the first yeas of 1900 with radical variations of a previous chapel (that dates to the end of 1400) later renovated in 1762, presenting in its structure clear neoclassical references with some Baroque elements.
The inside, with a unique aisle, keeps on the bottom wall of the presbytery and on the first two lateral chapels the frescos of Furbini, a painter from Piacenza, who belonged to the sumptuous painting tendency of the BIBIENA (XVII century). The oil painting of the “Madonna della Quercia di Orvieto”, to which the temple is dedicated, is a work of the painter Ravasio (1700). Splendid is the major polychrome marble altar in Baroque style. The building is now closed to worship for a long time.
(Translated by Laura Fugazzi)