Ciriano ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)

VIVERE CARPANETO | Carpaneto e frazioni | Ciriano ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)




The village, included in the times of the Roman domination in “Veleiate Ceriale”, was dedicated to the Goddess Cerere venerated as fields and crops’ patron. Ciriano has always conducted a primary job in the history of the district of Carpaneto either under a demographic, road system, entrepreneurial and agricultural point of view.

The district has always been an essential intersection both for the local and provincial viability (in the Centre of the village there are four intersecting streets, and three of them are provincial) and a strategic junction in favour of communications between plains and hills, between Val Chero and Val D’Arda.


The parish church is dedicated to St. Lorenzo, who was archdeacon in Rome and a victim of the persecution under the Emperor Valeriano. The temple was built in 1600, in obedience to Bracciforti Counts’ will, when the previous one that was located in St. Giacomo locality had been destroyed by a fire.

In the early 50s the initiative, organized by the parish priest Giovanni Moruzzi based on the project of the architect Pietro Berzolla, included the extension of the apsal area and the addition of a new aisle embellished by the construction of a big and majestic dome, Brunelleschi styled, later covered by copper with a lantern on the top.

The entire building shows clear references to the neo-classical style that characterized in the early XX century the majority of churches in the area.

The interior has a unique aisle with a wide round arch, it’s beautified by six lateral chapels and was decorated in the second half of the XX century by Alberto Aspetti, who then was teacher at the Gazzola school. Two oil canvas illustrating “Il battesimo di Gesù nel Giordano” (Christ’s baptism in Giordano river) and “Un Angelo” (An Angel), attributed to Parmigianino’s school, have been the aim of a robbery.

The bell tower, wanted by Don G. Moruzzi, who has been parish priest of Ciriano for 52 years, was built in the late 30s prior the demolition of a previous one in Romanic Style. The liturgic memory of the Patron recurs on the 10th of August.


The Braccifortis were the typical exponents of the merchants and bankers’ social class that in XIII century made Piacenza’s economic fortune, beyond theirs, and that later invested movable capital in the purchase of plots of land.

The first information about the Castle date back to the 13th of December 1566 when Lorenzo I, son of Giovanni Bracciforti and Ermellina Arcelli, was assigned with Visoria and Ciriano’s feud by the Duchess Bianca Visconti (Francesco Sforza‘s widow, who was Duke of Milan). Between all the obtained rights there also were the Jus of tavern and slaughter, the collection of the inhabitants’ tithes and the Giuspatronato for the designation of the local Parish Priest, that was lost only at the end of the XIX century.

The fortalice has today become a civil residence.


Ciriano boasts the first Monument of the Province dedicated to the Fallen of the 1st World War.

It was built on the initiative of the then parish priest Don Giovanni Moruzzi. Its inauguration took place in June 1919.

The work is a simple architecture. In the lower part, over the majestic stones coming from different military fronts, there are the Fallen’s photographs. From the pedestal arises a tall granite column that culminates with a sphere surmounted by the Eagle that represents the Victory. Next to the monument there is a small cannon as a trophy. The monument was initially built in the middle of the village; when it has been necessary the widening of the Provincial street, the monument was moved at the bottom of the square. In 1974, as an initiative organized by a few local soldiers lead by Andrea Guidotti and Teoltino Ferrari, it was added a new cannon that dated back to II World War.


The nineteenth-century villa was the Segadelli – Falconi’s family summer abode.

The last one of the branch, Francesco, died without heirs and left his properties, including the buildings of Ciriano and Piacenza, to the Institute “Madonna della Bomba”. The villa of Ciriano was later alienated from the Institute and it is impossible today to visit.


(Translated by Laura Fugazzi)

Pubblicato il 
Aggiornato il 
Risultato (10 valutazioni)