Magnano ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)

VIVERE CARPANETO | Carpaneto e frazioni | Magnano ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)

 

MAGNANO

(351 METRES ABOVE SEA LEVEL – 10 KM FROM CARPANETO)

Magnano results as the most decentralised between all of the bigger hamlets of Carpaneto from which is almost 10 km distant.

The small village reaches the “POGGIO” that is 369 metres high and it is the highest vertex of the district.

Magnano is known by all the Province for the intensive grapevine plantations and for the production of the tasty wild cherries.

CASTLE

The first information of the castle date back to the 27th June 1288 in the Liber Mancassola, one of the most antique existing codes in the Town Hall archive, where it is possible to read that the Volta – Landi family alienated part of the property in favour of the Mancassola lineage.

The castle, that is located in an isolated but dominant spot on the high ridge between Val Chero and Val Segola, is characterised by a strongly irregular map – roughly comparable to a trapezoidal geometric shape – to adapt it to the profile of the spur on which it rises up.

The body of the building is composed by three solid walls in stone, with brick inserts hedged by Guelph crenellation and equipped with two towers: a squared one towards west and a circular one towards south.

The construction considerably distinguishes itself from the other Castles of Piacenza both for the unusual geometric shape and for the atypical architectural model.

The residential building backed against the fenced area look on to the municipal street.

ST. MICHELE PARISH CHURCH

The eighteenth-century temple, dedicated to St. Michele Archangelo, was subjected to deep transformations at the end of the XIX century due to the construction of six lateral chapels and the remake of the façade in neoclassical style.

In the interior, behind the major altar, stands out the patron’s statue – work of an anonymous artist of the 1700 – contained in a plaster frame in Rococo style.

In a lateral chapel was built, as a duplicate, the Massabielle cavern in front of which each year (the 11th February) numerous emigrants gather to pray the Immaculate Virgin. A marble gravestone walled in the left part of the façade display the engraved names and the photos of the Fallen in the War.

RURAL CASTLE OF GINEPRETO

The existence of an antique fortalice in the hamlet of the Ginepreto is confirmed by a direct testimony, written in Latin, kept in the parish archive in Godi and it dates to the XVII century.

Of the antique Castle, only remains a residential building made of stone. 

 

(Translated by Laura Fugazzi)

 

Pubblicato il 
Aggiornato il 
Risultato (6 valutazioni)