Travazzano ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)

VIVERE CARPANETO | Carpaneto e frazioni | Travazzano ENG - Comune di Carpaneto Piacentino (PC)

 

TRAVAZZANO

(197 METRES ABOVE SEA LEVEL – 6 KM FROM CARPANETO)

The hamlet is partially scattered on level ground and on the first raised parts of the valleys. The principal residential nucleus is composed by the district CASE BRUCIATE.

TOWN HALL HEADQUARTERS

An extraordinary Institutional Revolution took place the 27th February 1806 when MOREAU DE SAINT MERY, Parma’s Dukedom administrator on behalf of the French Republic, established “les MAIRIES” even in Piacenza’s area - based on the French model. These mairies (municipalities) were ruled by the MAIRE (the mayor) whose designation was under the responsibility of the Prefect.

Officially though the ancien regime had ended the 1st July 1805 with the introduction of the “Napoleonic Code” that, between all of the different expected news, also decreed the definitive abrogation of the feudal jurisdiction.

On that occasion Travazzano was chosen as Town Hall headquarters and the administration offices were located in the building placed in the locality “Casa Nuova”.

With the Fall of Napoleon and the Restoration with Vienna’s Congress (1815), Count Filippo Magawly Cerati - who was the plenipotential minister of the Provisional Government before the return of Duchess Maria Luigia d’Austria in Parma (19th April 1816) - issued on the 14th February 1815 a specific decree with whom Travazzano’s Town Hall was suppressed, aggregating it to Carpaneto’s city hall.

The reason of this measure was dictated by the fact that many small districts, due to population’s scarceness, were not able to pay the costs of their own administrative activities. The town council in that period only had advisory function and its deliberations, to became executive, had to be countersigned by the Prefect, who was expression of the central power.

Under Maria Luigia everything remained unaltered and the change was only nominal: the Marie took the name of Podestà and the town council became the “Elderly Council”.

CASE BRUCIATE (116 METRES ABOVE SEA LEVEL)

The small village’s name probably finds its origins – according to an oral tradition – by a fire that had involuntary been set on by the feudatory Corrado Confalonieri during a hunting trip. The existence of a fortified building is testimonied by the remains of a circular tower made of stone today incorporated in many rustic buildings.

ORATORIUM MARIAE NASCENTI DICTATUM

Case Bruciate’s oratory, that is dedicated to “MARIAE NASCENTI”, was built in the early 50s as initiative organised by Travazzano’s parish priest Don Olimpio Bongiorni and it was financed by the population. Ms. Rosa Mosconi, who already was the owner of the local inn, offered her land on that occasion.

 

 

SIDOLI CASTLE

Since the first years of the Foundation, the Castle has always been a point of reference for the nobles the ran away from Piacenza during the bloody fight between Patricians and the working-class. In 1088 the member of the working-class occupied the Castle where could be found a few Ghibelline men.

The Castle built following the classic architectural methods of the fortalices in Piacenza (rectangular map with four angular towers) still maintains of the antique military construction a circular angular tower, the high fortified tower and, on the façade, the joints of the drawbridge and of the postern. In the hall there is a monumental fireplace with the Chiapponi’s heraldic emblem. The ceiling coffer is precious.

MARIA ASSUNTA’S CHURCH

The Church dedicated to Maria Assunta, since its canonical foundation that dates back to the XI century just like Carpaneto’s Church, always had the role of both religious and temporal supremacy: especially from 1383, when it resulted as a Chapter Church and 20 Suffragan diocese were subordinated to it (the churches of Badagnano, Celleri, Cornelliano, Ciriano, Diolo, Ginepreto, Lovedasco, Montezago, Magnano, Monastero, Minuta, Masana, Perugia, Rezzano, Sariano, Ronco, Tavasca, Vallunga and Visoria).

The extended building, that inherited antique economic-religious splendour, is divided into three harmonious aisles with three autonomous entrances and it shows a neoclassic façade that was remade in the early XX century.

The interior, adorned with three chapels for the two sides, was frescoed by Alberto Aspetti with iconographical and geometrical motifs.

Between the many displayed canvas, it is possible to distinguish a painting depicting the “Addolorata” (1835) – first chapel on the right – by Paolo Bozzini who was helped during the work by his well-known master Carlo Maria Viganoni (1786-1839).

MASANA TOWER

The first information we have about this fortalice date back to 1340 when the noble family Portasavelli bought the feud.

Of the four original existing towers at the begin of XVII century, only one remains with architectural particularities that refer to the late XV century.

 

(Translated by Laura Fugazzi)

Pubblicato il 
Aggiornato il 
Risultato (4 valutazioni)